Thursday, September 26, 2013

This is one of my  family's favorite quick bread. Apple Bread. First time I made this bread was last January. I was trying to make something good for my daughter's teachers on her birthday. Many other parents will give them chocolate, cupcakes, or ice cream. Well... It was January. It was cold and snowy. Who wants to eat ice cream on winter? Chocolate? hmm... errr... No. Cupcakes? I've already made mini carrot cupcakes for her friends. Then I read on the internet that quick bread could be a proper gift for adults. Good idea. But which quick bread? Banana? Chocolate? Pumpkin? Apple? Yeah. I think Apple bread will be great.

I tried few recipes of apple bread. And I didn't satisfied with the result. One was too tough, the other was too soft, another recipe was too crumbly. After many trial and error, I made my own recipe apple bread using all those failed recipe. Add and reduce the ingredients. It turned out great. The softness of the bread, the taste of combination of apple, cinnamon, walnut and raisins. Orange zest and juice that were unintentionally added to the batter, surprisingly could make the taste of the bread even better. I love it. My daughter and my husband love it. So, it's decided. I made 2 loaves of apple breads, wrap them nicely complete with the ribbon, and let my daughter gave them to her teachers. And they like it !! I was sooooo relieved and happy.


Until now, I've made many of them for my friends and I received none negative response. Today I make another batch of apple bread. I was planning to give it to my friend tomorrow. But too bad there's change of plan. We have to reschedule our appointment. Well.... then my apple bread will become my daughter's afternoon snack. I know she will love it. ^^


Ingredients :
  • 195 grams (1.5 cups) AP flour
  • 50 grams (1/4 cup ) white granulated sugar
  • 50 grams (1/4 cup ) brown sugar 
  • 120 ml (1/4 cup ) vegetables oil 
  • 110 ml (1/4 cup ) milk
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 - 2 apples, peeled, roughly grated.
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnut (optional)
  • orange zest from 1 orange (optional)
  • 1 tsp orange juice (optional)
Preparation :
  1. Preheat the oven for 180 C (356 F)
  2. Grease the quick bread pan / loaf pan with butter (I was using 21 x 8 x 7 cm loaf pan). Set aside. 
  3. In a big bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon powder.
  4. In another bowl, mix together milk, egg, vegetable oil, and orange juice.
  5. Pour the all mixed wet ingredients into mixed dry ingredients. Mix them well but do not over mix the batter.
  6. Add grated apple, orange zest, raisins, and chopped walnut. Mix again. 
  7. Pour the batter into greased pan
  8. Put it into preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes.
  9. Take the pan out from the oven and let it cool before removing the bread from the pan.
Tip : Do not over mix the batter otherwise the bread will become too tough. That's why for making quick bread, I only using wire whisk and spatula instead of hand mixer. Only to mix the batter until all the ingredients are well mixed. 


Tagged: , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment