Saturday, June 27, 2015

Did I already tell you how much I love prawns? Prawns and shrimps are one of my favorite ingredients in cooking. They taste great and can make the taste of most of the food better. For example, I love to add a little bit minced prawn when I make fried rice, or spring roll, or any kind of dumplings.  Sometimes, I puree it together with wheat flour and spices to make a prawn batter, fry it, and add it in my soup. I really love it.

This time, I still have about 1/2 kg frozen tiger prawn in my freezer and I would love to make a nice dish out of it for our dinner. I will make a garlic butter prawns. This is one of the best prawns dish I've ever eat.


It is very easy to make. But, talking about prawn (and shrimps), is all about preparation. Peeling their skin is not really a fun thing to do especially if I have to peel skins of huge amount of  prawns. Removing their back is easier but still need quite a long time. I only need to make a shallow cut on the back of the prawn and remove the black vein. I've shown you how to devein a prawn without make a cut on it when I made ebi furai long time ago. It's more complicated and need much more patience. But thanks God, I don't need to do that for this recipe. I don't even need to peel their skin because I cheated!  Ho ho ho... I bought frozen peeled-deveined prawns. It really help to reduce the preparation times. I just need to thaw the prawns. Don't use a microwave to thaw a prawn or the prawn will be ruined. Just leave it in the room temperature for about 30-60 minutes. It's the best way to thaw a frozen prawn. Once they're thawed, remove the excess water, dry them well with kitchen towel, and the prawns are ready to be cooked.


Ingredients :
  • 500 grams tiger prawn, peeled (Tip : you can always leave the tail on.), and deveined
  • 50 grams (about 1/2 cup) white flour
  • 2-3 tbs olive oil
  • 15 grams (1 tbs) butter
  • 30 grams  (2 tbs) butter
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 medium chili pepper, remove the seeds and the stem and slice it thinly
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • pinch of freshly chopped parsley

Preparation : 
  1. First dust the prawns with flour lightly.
  2. Heat some olive oil in a skillet. 
  3. Once the oil is hot, place the dusted prawns in an even layer on the skillet and cook it until they turn pink. Flip them over one by one and cook the other side until they become pink. The total process will take about 1 minute. 
  4. Take the prawns off the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
  5. Repeat until all the prawns are cooked. 
  6. Prepare another bigger pan. (Tip : I'm using a wok pan because my skillet is quite small. If your skillet is big enough to make a stir fry, remove the leftover oil and clean the surface with kitchen towel if needed and you can use it again for the next step. Be careful it's hot)
  7. Heat the pan and melt 1 tbs butter. 
  8. Once the butter is melted, stir in minced garlic and sliced chili pepper for about 1 minute or until they start to become tender and smell good.
  9. Add precooked prawns and cook and stir them together for about 1-2 minutes until all the prawns are mixed well with all the garlic and chili pepper. 
  10. Season it with salt and ground black pepper
  11. Add 2 tbs butter into the pan and stir it just until the butter is melted. 
  12. Turn off the heat and add some chopped parsley.
  13. Serve immediately. (Tip : Serve it with hot steamed rice)



Tagged: , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment