Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Appelbol is one of a famous dessert in Netherlands and Belgium. It is made from an apple which is spiced with sugar and cinnamon, and wrapped with puff pastry. It is sweet and delicious. Not to mention it is easy to make. There are some variation of it. Some people will add raisins, the other will add almond paste. I never tried using almond paste yet. But so far, the classic one is good enough for me. I like the taste of apple combined with caramelized brown sugar and cinnamon. Perfect for  this wet season.


Few days ago, I wanted to make this dessert. I never made it before and this will be my first attempt to make it. But I just happened that I had all the ingredients on my kitchen and my daughter wants some afternoon snack. So, why not? Let's get started.


Ingredients :
  • 3 Apples
  • 7 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 3 layers 20 x 20 cm ready to use puff pastry
  • 4 tbs white sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
Preparation : 
  1. Preheat oven for 200 C (392 F)
  2. Line the baking sheet with baking paper. Set aside.
  3. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside. 
  4. Peel the apples and remove the core using an apple corer.
  5. Coat the apple with mixture brown sugar-cinnamon.
  6. Place 3 layers of puff pastry on the prepared baking sheet and make some holes on it using a fork.
  7. Put the apple in the middle of puff pastry.
  8. Fill in the empty core of apple with leftover of brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
  9. Brush the edge of the pastry with egg wash.
  10. Wrap the apple by pulling the corner of puff pastry into the middle top of the apple one by one. Press the edge of puff pastry to seam it.
  11. Brush the surface of the unbaked appelbol with egg wash and coat or sprinkle it with granulated sugar. 
  12. Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake them for about 20 minutes.

Tagged: , , , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment