Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Like as usual, today I really had no idea what I should cook for dinner. It seems it's becoming my habit to think about dinner menu. Everyday, when I woke up, the first thing that come to my mind is what will I cook today. Well.... practically because I have to start defrosting the frozen meat in the morning before use it in the evening. Or buy some ingredients. My mother always said, that's the challenge of being a housewife. For example, this morning, I took out my chicken breast and start to defrosting it but really I totally had no idea what should I do with this thing.

Well.. I found 1/2 bottle of sesame seeds on my kitchen.When was the last time I used this ingredients? I suddenly wanted to make chicken with sesame sauce like the one that I used to eat in a restaurant in Indonesia few years ago. Hmmm maybe not exactly the same but I think I could make a pretty decent dish.


First I need to fry the chicken. I do not want just plain fried chicken. It has to be crispy, spiced, and coated with something to increase the taste and the texture of the chicken itself. So, i spiced them with garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. On my recipe, I use some white wine. It's totally optional and can be substitute with the same amount of lemon juice. After coating and frying process, make the sauce. Basically just mix all the ingredients together and let it simmer until it's boiled. Thickened it with tapioca starch, mix the chicken and the sauce, and it's ready to serve. It's easy, isn't it? And it is good as well. That's the most important thing. 


Ingredients :
  • 400 boneless chicken breast 
  • 1/4 tsp ginger powder
  • 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 tbs white wine (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbs flour
  • 4 tbs cornstarch
  • vegetable oil for frying
  • sliced spring onion (optional)
Tip : you can always substitute white wine with same amount of lemon juice and ginger powder with grated fresh ginger. Cut about 3 cm fresh ginger, remove the skin and grate it. 
  • 3 tbs soy sauce
  • 3 tbs white granulated sugar
  • 3 tbs mirin (Japanese rice wine vinegar)
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 6-7 tbs water
  • 1/4 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 cloves garlic, grated or minced
  • 1 tbs sesame seeds
  • pinch of salt and white pepper
  • mixture of 1 tsp tapioca starch and 2 tbs water
Tip : If you're using raw sesame seeds, it is better if you roast it in a pan without oil before mix them in the sauce. Just to increase the taste. I'm using ready to use roasted sesame seeds that I bought from Asian grocery store.

Preparation :
  1. Cut the chicken into medium-big (about 3 cm or 1 inch) cubes. Transfer the chicken into a bowl.
  2. Add grated garlic, ginger powder, salt, pepper, white wine and soy sauce. 
  3. Mix them together.
  4. Add flour into the mixture and mix again until the chicken is well coated.
  5. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, you can start to make the sauce.
  7. In a pan, preheat about 1-1 1/2 cup vegetables oil for frying.
  8. When the oil is ready, add corn starch into the chicken, and mix it once more.
  9. Put the chicken into preheated oil and fry until they're cooked trough and become golden brown.
  10. Remove the chicken from the oil and drain the excess oil
  11. Transfer the fried chicken into a bowl or a plate, pour the sauce on the chicken, and mix them together until they're well coated.
  12. Serve it with hot steamed rice and garnish with sliced spring onion if you like.
For the sauce :
  1. In a small pot or sauce pan, mix together soy sauce, sugar, mirin, sesame oil, water, ginger powder, grated garlic, salt and pepper. 
  2. Turn on the heat and let the sauce mixture boiled.
  3. When it start to boil (or until the bubbles start to appear), reduce the heat, add sesame seeds, and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
  4. Stir the mixture and add tapioca starch mixture slowly while keep stirring until the sauce is thickened. (No need to use all the tapioca mixture if it's thick enough)
  5. Turn off the heat and let it cool and thickened for a little bit.




Tagged: ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment